[X4U] Emergency post / Disk recovery vs file undelete

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Sep 19 06:40:16 PDT 2005

On Sep 19, 2005, at 1:48 AM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Apparently under OS X either trashed files are overwritten a lot
> sooner
> than they were under OS 9, or, once files are trashed, there isn't
> enough
> information left on the drive to accurately recover them without a
> third-party undelete utility already installed.

There is a lot more going on in the background. Everything from
virtual memory to auto-defragmenting of smaller files when opened to
maintaining logs. Even something as simple as restarting (and
shutting down?) will cause file writes. That's one thing that's quite
a bit different than OS 9.

My advice would be to shut down immediately and don't restart using
the drive in question as the boot drive. Boot from a CD/DVD or boot
in Firewire Disk Mode and run the utility from another computer.
Still may not help a lot, but if you're desperate...

-Mike