[X4U] Backup strategies (was: Emergency post / Disk recovery vs file undelete)

Brian Lalor blalor at bravo5.org
Tue Sep 20 05:59:04 PDT 2005

On Sep 20, 2005, at 1:41 AM, PoolMouse wrote:

> backing up is the best insurance you have against data loss.

Amen to that, brother!  The 80G drive on my PB crapped out two weeks
ago (the coup de grace of my Hawiian vacation that would have made a
great National Lampoon movie).  Fortunately, I had the presence of
mind to archive my photos to CD-RW, and lost only (!) two days worth...

What's a good Tiger-compatible backup solution?  Retrospect still
doesn't support ACLs and the new file meta data in Tiger...  I also
want something that's painless (automated, ideally) for use with my
laptop.

I still haven't decided *how* I want to implement backups; for some
stuff that never changes (like photos and music), I should be able to
just keep a clone of those files on another drive or on some optical
media, but I need incremental backups for other types of data (such
as the iPhoto and iTunes library files).

Thoughts?

--
    __   ____
   / /  / __/ Brian Lalor           "If you still have gas, you're