[X4U] Re: Emergency post / Disk recovery vs file undelete

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Tue Sep 20 06:42:46 PDT 2005

> From: PoolMouse <poolmouse_nyc at mac.com>
>
> Verduron <verduron at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Any recommendations? TIA
>
> get a backup system in place and restore accidentally deleted files
> from your backups. whether you use drives, tapes, cd's, etc., backing
> up is the best insurance you have against data loss....whether
> accidental or because of failure, disaster, theft, etc. i'm sure some
> company will market something that'll promise to recover deleted
> files. i would stay away from anything like that. instead, apple
> should be petitioned to offer customers a choice of writing to the
> oldest drive space as opposed to the newest (which is what happens
> now).

At first, you write that "some company will market something that'll promise
to recover deleted files" and then state "i would stay away from anything like
that". And then later you state that Apple should allow "writing to the oldest
drive space as opposed to the newest".

That last sentence to me means that Apple currently is writing to areas of the
disk that have had the most recent file activity, is this correct? If that is so,
and undelete utilities are futile, what does it matter how Apple writes to the
disk?

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net