[X4U] Re: Emergency post / Disk recovery vs file undelete

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Tue Sep 20 17:29:47 PDT 2005

On Sep 20, 2005, at 7:07 PM, PoolMouse wrote:

> Nick Scalise <nickscalise at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> > From: PoolMouse <poolmouse_nyc at mac.com>
>>
>>>  Verduron <verduron at comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>  >Any recommendations? TIA
>>>
>>>  get a backup system in place and restore accidentally deleted files
>>>  from your backups. whether you use drives, tapes, cd's, etc.,
>>> backing
>>>  up is the best insurance you have against data loss....whether
>>>  accidental or because of failure, disaster, theft, etc. i'm sure
>>> some
>>>  company will market something that'll promise to recover deleted
>>>  files. i would stay away from anything like that. instead, apple
>>>  should be petitioned to offer customers a choice of writing to the
>>>  oldest drive space as opposed to the newest (which is what happens
>>>  now).
>>
>> At first, you write that "some company will market something
>> that'll promise
>> to recover deleted files" and then state "i would stay away from
>> anything like
>> that". And then later you state that Apple should allow "writing
>> to the oldest
>> drive space as opposed to the newest".
>>
>> That last sentence to me means that Apple currently is writing to
>> areas of the
>> disk that have had the most recent file activity, is this correct?
>> If that is so,
>> and undelete utilities are futile, what does it matter how Apple
>> writes to the
>> disk?
>>

> undelete utilities are a farce because osx writes to the newest
> areas of the drive first. if not, then undelete would make sense i
> suppose. i only trust restores from backups.

I was not questioning your opinion of undelete utilities. What I am
questioning is this: If undeletes are a farce (which I will grant for
the sake of this discussion), what difference does it make if Apple
is writing to the new drive space or old drive space?

I can see where undelete utilities would not want Apple to write on
the new space as that would overwrite newer files (if I am
understanding this correctly). But if you have a current backup, why
does it matter if Apple is writing to old drive space or new drive
space?

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net