[X4U] Tracking System Events

Tom McIntosh tom_mcintosh at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 20 19:23:06 PDT 2005

On Sep 20, 2005, at 2:19 PM, x4u-
request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:

>> on 05/09/19 19:58, Tom McIntosh at tom_mcintosh at shaw.ca wrote:
>>

>>> My 2.3 G5 running 10.4.2 is showing a very high percentage of CPU
>>> being used by a Process Name d System Events.  36 to 55% of the CPU
>>> is going into System Events.
>>>

>> Do you see this in running the "Activity Monitor" utility
>> application?
>>
>> Usually WindowServer and SystemUIServer are pretty active, but
>> I've never
>> seen "System Events".
>>

> Follow-up. See "System Events and GUI Scripting" in
> <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/AppleScript/Conceptual/
> AppleScriptX/Concepts/as_related_apps.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/
> TP40001570-1149074-BAJEIHJA>
> for more information.

When watching Activity Monitor, I find an increasing number of
Processes named smbd.  Each takes about .5% of the cpu and the number
of processes keeps rising and hence the cpu usage.      Window Server
is about 3%  and SystemUIServer is about .15%.    Don't recall adding
any Applescript based items.  Plan to remove the items that start
during login and see what changes.

Tom