[X4U] Applescript gurus- auto-invoke screen lock?

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Tue Sep 27 20:05:34 PDT 2005

I currently have my computer set to boot directly into the kids'
accounts so that, in the event of a "hard crash" or hard-restart,
that they still have easy access to their applications without going
through a login procedure, etc.

However, I have EyeTV running on my account, which allows me to
record TV shows like a digital video recorder, and if my account
isn't logged in, it won't run. Invariably, my iMac will have locked
up or crashed and have been re-booted on the day of a particularly
interesting program I want to watch.

I know that setting the Accounts portion of System Preferences to
auto login to MY account would fix the problem, but I don't want to
expose my account to any risk of file deletion, etc by my kids.  They
ARE capable of clicking on their own login item and getting into
their own accounts from the login screen.

Is there an applescript that I can use in my login items that will
invoke the screen saver/screen lock immediately upon login, so that
my startup/login items are launched as expected, but there is no
access to my account?

Thanks!

Michael