[X4U] Applescript gurus- auto-invoke screen lock?

John Azevedo zoff at mac.com
Thu Sep 29 05:17:03 PDT 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 11:05 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> I currently have my computer set to boot directly into the kids'
> accounts so that, in the event of a "hard crash" or hard-restart,
> that they still have easy access to their applications without
> going through a login procedure, etc.
>
> However, I have EyeTV running on my account, which allows me to
> record TV shows like a digital video recorder, and if my account
> isn't logged in, it won't run. Invariably, my iMac will have locked
> up or crashed and have been re-booted on the day of a particularly
> interesting program I want to watch.

Try setting  /Library/Application Support/EyeTV/EyeTVHelper as Login
item on their acount.

> Is there an applescript that I can use in my login items that will
> invoke the screen saver/screen lock immediately upon login, so that
> my startup/login items are launched as expected, but there is no
> access to my account?

set the target_app to ((path to "dlib" from system domain as string)
&
"Frameworks:ScreenSaver.framework:Versions:A:Resources:ScreenSaverEngine
.app") as alias--this the end of the first line

tell application (target_app as string) to launch--this is the second
line