[X4U] Panther and laptop

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Sep 28 12:35:48 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 06:55:30AM CDT, Cindy Moore <bgcyclist at netscape.net> wrote:
:
: I gave my granddaughter my G3 laptop which is loaded with
: Panther OS. She deleted the folder with my name on it which
: had a library, etc. in it. How important is this? Do I need to
: reinstall Panther? Everything is working except internet
: access through Ethernet on her dad's PC. I'm visiting and
: that's how I'm connected, but I can't get the G3 connected.

The folder with your name on is the home folder for your user
account on the G3 notebook.  Every time a person sets up a user
account, she get her own home folder named after the username.
That's normal OS X procedure.  If your granddaughter set up her
own user account, she has her own folder with her own stuff;
deleting your folder should have no effect on her.  But if she
didn't set up her own user account, and instead has been using
your user account the whole time, then there could be problems.

As for the Internet access, how is it done at home?  The usual
setup (for broadband) is a cable/DSL router, and then lots of
computers connected to the router.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/