[X4U] file recovery software

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Sep 30 23:51:03 PDT 2005

Philip J Robar said:

>> If you need a referral to a data recovery service that won't charge
>> outrageous fees, let me know.
>
>I have a relative with a physically unresponsive drive so any
>recommendations would be appreciated.

Before you go to expense of using a drive recovery service, are you sure
that the drive has died?  Can you still hear it spin up when you turn it
on?  If so, have you tried a good disk repair utility such as Disk
Warrior?
http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html
Or a data recovery utility such as Data Rescue?
http://tinyurl.com/az2zo

Data recovery services usually open your failed hard drive under clean
room conditions, take out the platter, and put it into a device that can
read it.  It really isn't hard for them to recover your data, but they
sure do charge a lot of money to do so.  Usually in the thousands of
dollars range.

Drive Savers is the best known of the drive recovery companies that
specialize in the Macintosh, but they are far from the least expensive.
http://www.drivesavers.com/

I do know of a reasonably priced hard drive data recovery service.  Vogon
International has created an "end user program" so that regular users
have access to data recovery at better rates than businesses would be
charged.

The program is called AuthenTec. It is only for individuals, or very
small home businesses.

There are 4 conditions to meet to take advantage of this program.

1. One drive per recovery.
2. The Disk can't have been taken anywhere else, or the mechanism opened.
3. Can't have weird operating system, Windows or Mac only. (no linux)
4. It has to be an individual or very small home business.

They have a two stage recovery program. Recovery using the consumer
AuthenTec process is what they jokingly call "The slow boat to China"
program.  (It isn't fast, but it is less expensive than their ordinary
service.)

Stage 1 is free, and is the Diagnosis. You will be quoted a price to
recover your data, it can take up to 1 week for diagnosis. Since you are
getting a "best efforts" and a "when we can fit it in" recovery, you
won't get overnight service, but if you need that, you can pay the full
price.

Stage 2 is after you accept their quote. When you get their quote, which
is usually between $350 and $700 dollars, depending on the complexity of
the recovery, you can accept it, or have them send your disk back to you
untouched. if you accept their quote, it will take about a week, worst
case 2 weeks, to get your disk recovered. So most recoveries will take
between 2 weeks to 3 weeks to get your data back.

The good news is that, at this price, the same Vogon engineers
that do professional recovery for large corporations work on your drive,
using the same clean rooms, etc., it is just that they don't do the
recovery on a priority basis.

Their phone number is:
1 800 392 5373
http://www.vogon.us