[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Thu Apr 6 19:34:07 PDT 2006

At 6:54 PM -0700, 4/6/06, Kunga wrote:

>I IMed with Parallels this afternoon and they said that 3-D support
>will be in their 3.0 version this summer. Said it's simply a matter
>of getting driver info from the card manufacturers that are in the
>Macs.

If they said this, then they haven't had much experience in this
business. What makes them think that the video card manufacturers
will tell them anything about the card? This is all proprietary
stuff. The card mfgs couldn't care less about Parallels. If Parallels
succeeds or fails, it won't affect the card manufacturers at all.
Businesses don't give away information unless there is an upside for
them.

Apple, on the other hand, buys the cards from the mfg. The mfg is
interested in Apple being happy. And that is why the card mfg helped
Apple create a driver for Apple to use in Boot Camp. But I'm not
seeing any reason why the mfg would just say sure Parallels, go ahead
and use the driver that we designed for Apple.
--

Robert Ameeti

The tooth fairy teaches children that they can sell body parts for money.
-- David Richerby