[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Thu Apr 6 14:19:53 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Many high-end games require a specific video card. Will these games
> run at all on a Mac running Boot Camp? If they will, will the video
> performance be insufficient for most gamers' tastes?

Most likey. The graphics chip used in the Intel Mac machines is
pretty low end by today's standards when it comes to 3D and gaming.
If you crank down the resolution and turn off some high end rendering
features most games will run though.

> I've already heard from a couple of folks who have tried Boot Camp,
> and
> they say that WinXP runs surprisingly fast compared to a real Win
> desktop, but I've yet to hear from anyone who has tried any high-end
> games on it yet. I'd love to hear the results of any tests.

This is (unintentionally, I'm sure) misleading. Windows running on an
Intel Mac is a "real Win desktop". Boot Camp provides a means for
booting Windows on a machine who's firmware is not supported by
Windows and the hardware drivers that are needed for Apple's
hardware. Boot Camp is not a virtualizer or emulator or some
combination thereof. Windows runs natively on the Apple hardware and
therefore it runs just as fast as it would on similar hardware from
any other manufacturer.

Phil Robar
--
"The tragedy of our day is the climate of fear in which we live and
fear breeds repression. Too often, sinister threats to the Bill of