[X4U] Boot Camp success - now, where to get my armor

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Sun Apr 9 20:30:46 PDT 2006

On Apr 9, 2006, at 8:22 AM, Stroller wrote:

> On 9 Apr 2006, at 2:28, Jim Robertson wrote:
>
>> ...There are 3 and 12 month "free" trials
>> available from Microsoft for various third party anti-virus
>> programs. ...
>> Any good ones that are free and not time limited? Major
>> requirement is that they not get in the way of ActiveSync operations.
>
> AVG is free for personal, non-commercial use: http://
> free.grisoft.com/doc/1
>
> The commercial version is still a bargain at $40 for 2 years. It
> beats the pants off Norton & McArfy.
> http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Purchase/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Not according to PC World. In the current  issue McAffe was rated #2,
behind BitDefender, Norton was #5. The three free programs, AntiVir,
Avast,  and AVG came in 7th, 8th, and 10th out of 10 respectively.
The biggest weakness of the free programs is that their heuristics
for dealing with unknowns are weak.

Article:	http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124163,pg,1,00.asp
Chart:	http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124475,00.asp

I was using McAfee on one machine, and Avast and AVG on two others.
Since I get McAfee free as a Comcast customer I'm going to switch to
it on all of my Windows machines.

As far as anti-spyware programs, you already have MS Defender.
Lavasoft's Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy are free and well
though of though usually not top rated. Yahoo has free spyware
scanning as part of their toolbar. Sunbelt Software's CounterSpy and
Webroot Software's Spy Sweeper are consistently at the top of PC
Worlds reviews. (As has been the core of Microsoft's Defender in the
past.)

I have the first four installed on all of my PCs and I just bought
Spy Sweeper and it's companion Windows Washer for $10 after rebate at
Fry's Electronics. I have both Spybot's and Defender's active
components turned on. They both go off under different circumstances
leading me to believe that there's little overlap between what
they're both looking for and that having both of them on is a good
thing. Spybot in particular has an actively maintained black-hole
list of malicious web sites and keeps good watch over Window's registry.

In tests none of the anti-spyware programs find/catch everything so
having several installed seems like a good idea.

Phil
--
"Those who would deny liberty to others do not deserve it themselves."
-- Abraham Lincoln - 1859