[X4U] Boot Camp success - now, where to get my armor

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 10 03:09:09 PDT 2006

On 10 Apr 2006, at 04:30, Philip J Robar wrote:
>> AVG is free for personal, non-commercial use: http://
>> free.grisoft.com/doc/1
>>
>> The commercial version is still a bargain at $40 for 2 years. It
>> beats the pants off Norton & McArfy.
>> http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Purchase/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
>
> Not according to PC World. In the current  issue McAffe was rated
> #2, behind BitDefender, Norton was #5. The three free programs,
> AntiVir, Avast,  and AVG came in 7th, 8th, and 10th out of 10
> respectively.

I will, of course, bite.

This is not my experience. I advertise my services as a "PC plumber"
to home users & small business and I regularly uninstall Norton or
McAfee and find that AVG finds infected files that these others have
missed.

My biggest gripe with McAfee & Norton is perhaps that they tend to
install a full "suite" of security components, such as spam & web
filters, firewall &c. This would seem to be an "added value"
proposition to their customers but the result is a number of
additional programs & services initiated at start-up and running all
the time in the background, slowing the peecee down. If you have one
of these programs installed on your PC and run "Hijack This" on it
you will see at least half a dozen entries associated it - look for
entries with Norton / Symantec / McAfee in the full path, or .exe
files whose name begins with "mca" (I can't recall what naming
convention Norton / Symantec use but it's similar).

Frequently I uninstall Norton / McAfee and find that the machine runs
significantly faster having done so.

I have to admit that short of buying Outlook 2003 I haven't found a
spam filter that works as well and is as well integrated as Norton /
McAfee, but that may be because I'm not trying the $20 - $40
solutions. As for their firewalls, I feel that XP's own firewall is
adequate enough and that the substantial "benefit" provided by
Norton / McAfee is that they'll pop up "alerts" when a new program
tries to access the internet or you get port-scanned; this may be
reassuring for some users, however it doesn't really have much
benefit as  executables of PeeCee programs may be installed most
anywhere on the system and may not be recognisable from their
filename. When you are asked whether to allow or deny access to the
internet for "aolsrvc.exe", how do you know whether is a component of
your chat program or a virus?

I tend to find these firewalls cause more problems than they fix, and
the most common cause of "my wireless laptop is no longer printing to
the machine in my study" is the installation of (a new version of)
Norton or McAfee.

AVG does only anti-virus, and in my experience it does it well.

> The biggest weakness of the free programs is that their heuristics
> for dealing with unknowns are weak.

This tends to suggest that "you get what you pay for" however IMO
this is a slightly fallacious argument in this case.

There is no doubt at all that Norton & McAfee both spend significant
portions of their revenue on marketing and on putting glossy boxes on
shelves, whereas Grisoft concentrate on sales via internet download
and get free publicity for their business sales by giving away their
free home edition. I would guess that to a very large extent these
factors balance out.

Grisoft is not some under-funded volunteer organisation without
resources to develop their software, and last year received
significant investment funding from Intel.

ClamAV _is_ Free software released under the GPL (and would seem to
be written by volunteers) yet I'm sure I've read reports that
disagree with your statement quoted above (suggesting that it is
better than any other at the heuristics of unknowns).

A final significant factor for me is that home users tend to be lazy
about renewing their subscriptions for the pay anti-virus services.
As we all know an anti-virus program without updates is a chocolate
fireguard, so free anti-virus ensures that the user will never get
caught out thinking "I'll get round to renewing that subscription
after payday next month".

Stroller.