[X4U] G4 will not start

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Apr 10 09:19:10 PDT 2006

Paul Moortgat said:

>I've a friend who has a G4 who will not start most of the time.  Now
>and then he will start.  What can be the problem?

The first thing that I would check is the PRAM battery.

The PRAM battery typically gives out after about 3 to 5 years.  But it
can give up a lot earlier, or later.

The PRAM battery provides a bit of power so that your Mac can remember
its settings, such as your preferences and the date and time, while it is
turned off.  Sometimes an early sign that it is going bad is that your
date and/or time will become incorrect, but often the first sign that
that the battery is dead is that your Mac won't startup.

The PRAM battery is a small cylindrical lithium battery that looks like a
short AA battery.  In fact it is colloquially called a "1/2 AA."  It is
located on the motherboard and it snaps in and out just like a AA battery
in a toy.  Your PRAM battery is probably a light purple and black.

Tadiran # TL5101 Lithium Battery
3.6 Volts. 0.97" long x 0.56" diameter.

If your PRAM battery is over 3 years old, I would just replace it.

Other World Computing is a good source for PRAM batteries.
they stock them for under $6:
http://eshop.macsales.com/AddToBasket.cfm?ID=2524&Item=OWCMAC36V

You can also get one (for a bit more money) at a local Radio Shack:
$14.50
Catalog #: 23-026
<http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104707&cp>

Randy B. Singer