[X4U] OT windows on imac

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 06:08:44 PDT 2006

On 4/12/06, Mitchell Senft <ms53 at optonline.net> wrote:
> So the questions are: In that limited use, how concerned do I have to
> be? Do I have to worry overmuch about viruses? And what about these
> Windows updates? Do I have to keep current downloading what seems to
> be weekly updates and patches and, well, crap? Or if I keep her off
> the web through Windows, do I really have to worry?

This is my new list of "10 steps for Mac Users to Stay Sane and Safe
in the Windows World"

1) Make sure that you have XP SP2.  ("Home" version is fine for most people)

2) Get and install ClamAV for Windows (free antivirus) or AVG (free
"personal" version available).  There's really no need to buy Norton.

3) Get and install Microsoft AntiSpyware.  It's free.  There are some
other programs out there which do anti-spyware, but this one is "good
enough"

4) DO NOT use Outlook

5) DO NOT use Outlook Express

6) DO NOT use Internet Explorer (use Opera or Firefox)

7) Make sure that Automatic Updates are set to automatically download
and install.  This will take care of updating any "critical updates"
similar to the Software Updates that you get from Apple for OS X.  You
can tell Windows to just tell you when there are new downloads
available, or "Download and tell me when they are ready to install" or
"Just download and install them and don't bother me about it."  The
latter option works best for people.  I haven't heard of a critical
update screwing people up.  (I believe this is the default setting for
XP SP2)

If you do those 7 things, your Windows machine will be pretty much as
secure as your Mac.

8) DO NOT download and install software that you don't really need.
There's a lot of "Free" Windows software which also installs a lot of
crap that you don't need/want/desire.

9) DO install these two free programs:

1) StartupDelayer
http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

This will let you see what programs are set to startup on launch.  You
can also remove them.  WARNING: Delete something that you shouldn't
and you could have problems.  Google the names of programs and find
out what they do before you delete them

2) StartupMonitor
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

This will warn you when a program is trying to set something to run
automatically (NOTE: some Windows installers set programs to run ONCE
at startup to finish/cleanup installations).  You can choose not to
let them be entered into the "Run on startup" list.

10) If you want to really be safe, make yourself a non-administrative
user account and use that one for day to day stuff.  It will prevent
you from installing crap you don't need, and when you need to install
something, you can use right click > 'run as' to get authentication
much like what you get in OS X when it asks for your administrative
password before installing something.  NOTE: Windows is NOT as good or
as easy as OS X to use with a non-admin account, which is why most
Windows users don't use it.  But it gives you a lot of protection.

11) Hopefully your DSL or cable modem has a built-in hardware
firewall.  Yes XP SP2 has a firewall just like OS X and I believe it
is now enabled by default, but I like a hardware firewall too.  The
internet is a dirty filthy indiscriminate partner.  Use extra
protection.

Yes, my list of 10 things goes to 11.  This is Spinal Tap.

TjL