[X4U] OT windows on imac

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Wed Apr 12 06:07:48 PDT 2006

At 6:08 AM -0400, 4/12/06, Mitchell Senft wrote:

>I work in Windows during the day but it's a box at work i.e, I'm not
>responsible for it so my knowledge of >maintaining< a Win-box is
>minimal. Know just about enough to be scared and intimidated.
>
>Now I'm thinking of loading Win onto my daughter's Intel iMac for
>those very rare occasions when we need a Windows box around the
>house, God forbid a game for my daughter and maybe to putz around
>with the dual-boot.
>
>The iMac will be on the home wireless network.
>
>So the questions are: In that limited use, how concerned do I have to be?

If it has an Internet connection, then you have to be just as
concerned as the person who uses their computer for lots of purposes.
The malware does not hit only those that just like to have a Windows
computer in the house.

>  Do I have to worry overmuch about viruses?

Yes

>And what about these Windows updates?

Yes

>Do I have to keep current downloading what seems to be weekly
>updates and patches and, well, crap?

Yes

>Or if I keep her off the web through Windows, do I really have to worry?

If there is no Internet connection, then the worry can be lessened.
But do note that any viruses that appear on the Mac, while not
affecting the Mac, can now be transmitted to the PC over your home
network.

Kinda like your daughter only wanting to run naked on the freeway in
the middle of the night when no cars are coming. Would you say that
that is safe or would you just say no, your not going to do it?
--

Robert Ameeti

Too much of a good thing is wonderful.
- Mae West