[X4U] Strange OS X Tiger freeze

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Thu Apr 13 06:54:50 PDT 2006

I just encountered something I've never seen before under OS X. I brought up
the interface for toggling between apps (Command-Tab) to switch from
Entourage 2004 to Safari. The highlighted app icon switched to Safari, but
the Entourage Window stayed foreground. The cursor was in the shape of the
upward pointing finger for clicking URLs, but nothing else changed. The
mouse could move the pointer around the screen, but no keyboard input was
accepted.

I tried command-option-escape (no response).
I tried sleeping the computer (no response).
I tried mousing over the dock (no response).

In essence, it looked like the type of OS freeze we used to see pre-OS X.

Finally, I did a forced shutdown with the power button and rebooted. No
recovered files in the trash, but the machine (dual G5 running fully updated
10.4.6) seems OK.

Any idease?

Jim Robertson