[X4U] OT windows on imac

John Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Thu Apr 13 14:33:51 PDT 2006

Hello,

Here is what I plan on doing.

1) Buy the intel based Mac. Wait until August (or just have fun with beta
software) and the arrival of Leopard. Load Leopard. Configure boot camp.
Shut down the Mac.

2) Cuddle it (the Mac). Explain (in a hushed reverent voice) that you are
addicted to games, thus can not wait for Leopard, or that some developers
are driven by the free market and will not support the Mac. Turn the Mac on.
Boot OS X. Load up antivirus and disk recovery software and keep current
with patches. Copy WinXP data files files from USB drive (see step 9).

3) Surf the web from the Mac and play online games from the Mac. Compute for
the good of society. Run computer algebra and quantum chemistry programs.
Construct applescripts for amusement. Double click on every .exe / php /
"whatever" file I stumble across on the net.

4) Download any online legal installers for WinXP. If possible, download Win
XP updates and Patches. Copy to a USB drive, burn to DVD or use a 3rd party
file transfer utility to copy HFS to the FAT32 partition.

5) Disconnect the Ethernet cable.

6) Boot Win XP.

7) Load antivirus software, if appropriate, from the installation file or
from the USB drive. Load software (legal) that has functionality that I MUST
have from the installation file.

8) If Microsoft does not allow for me to download patches and updates from
IE on the Mac....
	8a) Enable the firewall.
	8b) Connect the Ethernet cable.
	8c) Use IE to download patches, virus updates, anti-spyware,....
	8d) register software if I can't do it from the Mac.
	8e) Disconnect the Ethernet cable.

9) Compute for the good of society. Copy word processing files to the USB
drive. Backup.

10) Shut down WinXP.

11) Cuddle the Mac and apologize for even booting the WinXP beast.

12) Connect the Ethernet cable. Go to step 2.

Note: Those individuals that cannot live without the latest online WinXP
game or need to collaborate from within an industrial app that is WinXP only
can follow the various "best security practices" listed in the "OT windows
on imac" email thread. I have every mail in this thread printed out for
reference. Use Firefox, Mozilla, ... Just backup frequently enough to
survive those zero day exploits. Heh, heh, chuckle....

John F. Richardson