[X4U] Multiple Copies of E-Mail Messages ... Help !!

revDAVE coolcat at hosting4days.com
Mon Apr 24 13:12:42 PDT 2006

On 4/24/2006 11:42 AM, "Jim" <archaeopteryx at clearwire.net> wrote:

> I've been receiving multiple copies of messages for about one month
> now on my iBook G4. I've had to manually delete over 30,000 (that's
> thirty thousand !!!) duplicate messages in Mac Mail, on my iBook G4,
> running OS X 10.4.6. On my old PowerMac 7300/500, I've never had any
> duplicate messages. I'm running OS 9.1, and use Outlook Express.
> Also, never saw this problem with Netscape mail or Eudora mail.
>
> Any ideas? Somebody suggested using a Mail Script, but I couldn't
> find the scripts on their website. Does anyone have links to Mail
> Scripts that would solve the issue of multiple copies of e-mail
> messages? Thanks.

On most mail applications - when using pop3 mail -  you can have some
control over mail deletions -  for example...

- leave a copy of mail on server = checked
- but also - delete mail that is more than (3) days old = checked

-  having things set this way allow you to get your mail and also delete
copies off the server before the server gets to filled up.  The reason I
leave things like this - is in case you delete immediately from the server -
what if while you were getting Mail your computer crashed - then you would
lose that mail forever ... This other way gives you a safety zone.

-  Having said that... Generally when you get mail on a client -  it
remembers mail that it already gotten, so as to not get duplicates - and
just gets the new stuff. is it possible that some how your mail app has
gotten corrupted in this area...?

-  you can try trashing your preferences...
-  you also can uncheck = " leave mail on server" ... So there will
instantly delete any copies ... But as I described above this could get
scary...

-  you can also try using another e-mail application ...  And see if that
has the same duplicates problem...

Hope this helps - let us know what you find out...

--
Thanks - RevDave
CoolCat at hosting4days.com
[db-lists]