[X4U] Boot Camp

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Aug 7 09:25:04 PDT 2006

On 7 Aug 2006, at 15:17, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> At 9:09 AM -0500, 8/7/06, Doug LaBore wrote:
>
>> Sure you can buy OEM versions (Pro for $114 and home version for
>> $78) which
>> means you only get the Microsoft install disk and nothing else
>> ( no manual
>> or pretty box) but it a completely legal copy.
>
> That would not be a completely legal copy unless you are an OEM
> purchasing it so that you can build computers. Read the license for
> all of what is required to be an OEM. It is more than wanting to
> install it on a purchased computer for your own use.

But not very much more.

Just because it's written in some click-through contact dreamed up by
Microsoft's lawyers does NOT make it "legal". The law is defined by
elective representatives and interpreted in court ("case law").

As we have discussed here in the past, in the UK & Europe at least,
Microsoft's OEM "agreement" is not worth the paper it is written on -
it has been determined at court that sales of OEM copies of Windows
give Microsoft a competitive advantage in the marketplace and thus
buyers are not legally bound by this license.

Has Microsoft actually ever pursued _in court_ an individual who has
installed an OEM copy of Windows for their own use?
Did they win?
If you were able to answer these questions then I might have some
respect for your assertions.

As as aside, I knew the moment I saw Mr Hoffman's question that we'd
be having this discussion. Had this group moderators I would suggest
this as a subject for warnings or removal. I am getting quite sick of
straying into this ground so frequently - it is decidedly off-topic
for this group, but I will not allow incorrect assertions to go
unchallenged.

Stroller.