[X4U] Boot Camp

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Aug 8 00:35:57 PDT 2006

On 8 Aug 2006, at 08:12, Robert Ameeti wrote:

>> Has Microsoft actually ever pursued _in court_ an individual who
>> has installed an OEM copy of Windows for their own use?
>
> Your question has no bearing on the question of whether it is legal
> to do or not. You are merely saying that the person is not likely
> to be sued by Microsoft. Similar to the number of persons
> prosecuted for stealing bicycles.  Close to zero so it must be
> legal and ok to do. To base an argument for the legality on the
> likelihood of prosecution doesn't sound like a very respectable
> society.

In the quoted above you conveniently edited my statement that:
>> The law is defined by elected representatives and interpreted in
>> court ("case law").

You have still not answered the question, Mr Ameeti, and to base an
argument for legality on the most outrageous demands dreamed up by a
bunch of lawyers employed by a convinced monopolist doesn't sound
very respectable either.

It is a completely irrelevant analogy to compare stealing bicycles
with a copy of Windows that has been bought and paid for. Were one to
be sued by Microsoft for installing an OEM copy of Windows then one
would NOT be "prosecuted"; it would be a civil disagreement between
two parties over contract terms.

I decided to look up the term "shill", because I hear the word used
so often in the context of Microsoft supporters. The description "an
accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an
enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others" would seem to
apply far better to you than to anyone else I have ever encountered
on the Internet.

It is quite clear that you have some personal agenda that leads you
to fear-monger over this issue.
Please stop spouting this nonsense unless you are prepared to back it
up with facts.

Stroller.