[X4U] Can a sleeping PowerBook charge an iPod nano?

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 8 09:27:45 PDT 2006

On 7 Aug 2006, at 12:25 PM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> I must admit I don't remember how I loaded some initial music on
> it. The
> battery has run down, and I'm trying to recharge it. Can I do so
> from the
> USB port on a sleeping Apple laptop? (If it wakes up, it will try to
> synchronize, I suspect, and I'd rather just charge the battery.

	My iPod (not a nano) recharges while the laptop is sleeping.  I've
got firewire instead of USB, but I wouldn't think that would make a
difference.  (I've been wrong using similar logic before, however.)

	When it tries to synchronize, I just shut down iTunes and it stops
synchronizing but continues to charge.  I also sometimes just eject
the iPod but leave it plugged in; it stops synchronizing but
continues to charge.  I seem to remember there are also some settings
in iTunes preferences that one can set to keep it from synchronizing.

						Peter