[X4U] Boot Camp [2]

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Aug 8 11:41:08 PDT 2006

On 8 Aug 2006, at 13:17, Daly Jessup wrote:

> At 8:35 AM +0100 8/8/06, Stroller wrote:
>> It is quite clear that you have some personal agenda that leads
>> you to fear-monger over this issue.
>> Please stop spouting this nonsense unless you are prepared to back
>> it up with facts.
>
> This is an astoundingly rude response.
> What "facts" are you wanting Mr. Ameeti to come up with?

Some citation or legal precedent that indicates it is not legal to
buy an OEM copy of Windows XP for installation on a new Intel Macintosh.

If, as he insists, the small-print of the license terms prohibit
this, then I would be grateful for a demonstration that that section
of the license terms have been upheld in court (a court judgement
that says the software vendor can impose any terms without
restriction in a license agreement would be interesting, but I'm not
convinced that it would be incontestable, should one be able to
demonstrate that the terms are legally "unreasonable").

> What contrary facts are you offering besides the "fact" that you
> don't like Microsoft and  the "fact" that you can probably get by
> with using an OEM disk on a non-original computer?

* sigh *

Ok, I have to admit, I don't particularly like Microsoft. I guess I
just have a prejudice against white-collar felons. But that's
irrelevant.

 From "/Volumes/WXHOEM_EN/I386/EULA.TXT":

    ...This End-User
    License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you
    ... and the manufacturer ("Manufacturer") of the ... computer
    system component ("HARDWARE") with which you acquired the Microsoft
    software product(s) identified above ("SOFTWARE").
    The term "COMPUTER" as used herein shall mean ... the computer
    system with which the HARDWARE operates, if the HARDWARE is a
    computer system component.

    Manufacturer grants you the following rights, provided you comply
    with all of the terms and conditions of this EULA: - Installation
    and Use. Except as otherwise expressly provided in this EULA, you
    may install, use, access, display and run only one (1) copy of the
    SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER.

I read that fairly clearly as saying "if you purchased this software
with a USB cable, stick of RAM or network card then you can run this
software on the computer with which you use that USB cable, stick of
RAM or network card".

We've been through all this before, last time. Please don't ask me to
provide facts when it appears that only myself & Mr Warms are
actually prepared to offer facts & citations on this subject. Those
suggesting that it's "illegal" to buy an OEM copy of Windows XP for
your Mac seem to just prefer to bad-mouth anyone doing so, without
producing any legal documentation to back their assertions.

Frankly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was Microsoft's
INTENTION that one should be able to buy a USB cable & an OEM license
for installation on your PC. Microsoft surely have enough lawyers to
close this "loophole" should they wish to, and it is probably in
their interest that one has this option - thus they discourage piracy
and offer differential pricing to those who are not prepared to pay
the price of the boxed retail editions of XP.

Stroller.