[X4U] Boot Camp [A]

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Aug 8 23:30:24 PDT 2006

On 8 Aug 2006, at 20:34, Ted Burton wrote:
> As for the morality of the matter, I agree that the end user of OEM
> software, who is neither the OEM nor a buyer of a computer from the
> OEM, has participated in something wrongful, and shouldn't be doing
> it. Let's say it's sinful, but not criminal. There's a difference.

Having contemplated this for a while, I'm not even convinced there.

I'll admit to having a bias, and that I get a whole load more bent
out of shape over violations of the GPL than I do over someone
pirating Windows or Office. I get narked when someone expects me to
work on a pirated installation but I'll admit that I'd get a deal of
pleasure in the thought of having "got one over" on Microsoft, and
that I'd be prepared to move my ethical goalposts over them. But I'm
not convinced it apples here.

Let's say your neighbour comes along and says "hey, Bob! look at this
great paint I got on close-out - it's really great quality stuff that
weather-seals your fences, and I got loads of it". So you make an
agreement with him to dig his ditches or something in exchange for
him painting your fences and you go out & do your side of the deal
and then find out later that he used a lower-grade of paint on your
fences than he did on his own.

This isn't an analogy - I don't care whether he fulfilled his side of
the contract by painting your fence in the strict letter of the
agreement, or whether he failed to meet your expectations that he'd
use the high-grade paint. But in a case where we have two people
interacting, where there's not much scrutiny, where the contract is
only verbal... there's a possibility one is within the letter of the
contract yet still behaving unethically, breaching the spirit of the
contract. There's massive margin for error and argument and
interpretation between two neighbours and their fences.

The OEM license we're discussing, on the other hand, was written by
very expensive lawyers. This license must have had millions spent on
its drafting, has been revised at least once since XP was released,
and has been subjected to minute scrutiny by plenty of interested
parties. I would say that there's a very strong case here to say that
the license defines the expectations of what you should be able to do
with the software, not the headline title.

We like throw about analogies here on the internet, so here's one of
mine:
Saying that it's wrong to buy an OEM copy of Windows for your own use
is like saying it's wrong to buy a 1kg bulk-bag of bird seed to plant
in the ground.
It says "bird seed" on the bag! It's for feeding to birds! If you
want to grow sunflowers then you should go out an buy one of those
little paper packets of seeds from the garden centre (not the pet
shop!) and plant those! Those bird seeds are only licensed for
feeding to birds, and if no-one bought the little expensive packets
of sunflower seeds (which happen to be packaged by the same company,
and which cost 10x the price-per-volume) then the company would go
out of business! Shame on you!!

But that's exactly what you're telling me (or at least Mr Ameeti is)
- it says on the bag "OEM" so it should only be used by OEMs. Despite
what it says in the very comprehensive contract that Microsoft have
drawn up.

[CONTINUED]