[X4U] Boot Camp [A]

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Wed Aug 9 06:10:39 PDT 2006

At 7:30 AM +0100, 8/9/06, Stroller wrote:

>We like throw about analogies here on the internet, so here's one of mine:
>Saying that it's wrong to buy an OEM copy of Windows for your own
>use is like saying it's wrong to buy a 1kg bulk-bag of bird seed to
>plant in the ground.
>It says "bird seed" on the bag! It's for feeding to birds! If you
>want to grow sunflowers then you should go out an buy one of those
>little paper packets of seeds from the garden centre (not the pet
>shop!) and plant those! Those bird seeds are only licensed for
>feeding to birds, and if no-one bought the little expensive packets
>of sunflower seeds (which happen to be packaged by the same company,
>and which cost 10x the price-per-volume) then the company would go
>out of business! Shame on you!!
>
>But that's exactly what you're telling me (or at least Mr Ameeti is)
>- it says on the bag "OEM" so it should only be used by OEMs.
>Despite what it says in the very comprehensive contract that
>Microsoft have drawn up.

How absurd of an analogy. There is no agreement nor license involved.
The mfg could care less what you do with the bird seed and hasn't
bothered to ever ask or request (vis a vis no license). You get what
you pay for in each bag. The belief that they are similar or equal
quality items in each is wrong. Just because they come from the same
mfg does not make them equal value. Have you never visited the
produce sections of markets? Have you not noticed the range of cost
of premium size, shape, color, texture, taste of produce? The same
goes for the seed. You are just too inexperienced in this area to
comprehend the difference.
--

Robert Ameeti

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves.
            -- Rudyard Kipling