[X4U] Boot Camp [A]

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 9 07:38:53 PDT 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 14:10, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> At 7:30 AM +0100, 8/9/06, Stroller wrote:
>
>> We like throw about analogies here on the internet, so here's one
>> of mine:
>> Saying that it's wrong to buy an OEM copy of Windows for your own
>> use is like saying it's wrong to buy a 1kg bulk-bag of bird seed
>> to plant in the ground.
>> It says "bird seed" on the bag! It's for feeding to birds! If you
>> want to grow sunflowers then you should go out an buy one of those
>> little paper packets of seeds from the garden centre (not the pet
>> shop!) and plant those! Those bird seeds are only licensed for
>> feeding to birds, and if no-one bought the little expensive
>> packets of sunflower seeds (which happen to be packaged by the
>> same company, and which cost 10x the price-per-volume) then the
>> company would go out of business! Shame on you!!
>>
>> But that's exactly what you're telling me (or at least Mr Ameeti
>> is) - it says on the bag "OEM" so it should only be used by OEMs.
>> Despite what it says in the very comprehensive contract that
>> Microsoft have drawn up.
>
> How absurd of an analogy.

Well, I was pretty much in the mood to dream up absurd analogies
yesterday, and I did intend to label it as such. I was to a good
extent just being silly with this one - as you were with your "stolen
bicycle" analogy. The whole point of analogies is they're absurd - an
apple is no more like a pear or a plum than it is an orange and
comparing apples to apples is the only really useful standpoint.

> There is no agreement nor license involved. The mfg could care less
> what you do with the bird seed and hasn't bothered to ever ask or
> request (vis a vis no license).

No, and if you'd read further you'd know that that was my point.
There's no agreement nor license involved in the words "Original
Equipment Manufacturer", words which you have in the past (9 April
2006 02:03:43 BST) used to justify a moral standpoint against end-
user purchase of OEM Windows, a title which Ted Burton says makes it
"wrongful" for an end-user to buy an OEM license.

There's a very comprehensive license that's been written up by
Microsoft's legal department on the side of an OEM copy of Windows.
We have established that it's legal to follow that to the letter and
install it as an end-user (or at least you have failed to demonstrate
otherwise) and I contend that it is no more immoral or unscrupulous
for an end-user to buy an OEM copy of Windows than it is for them to
plant bird seed - as long as they are following the letter of the
license.

> ... You are just too inexperienced in this area to comprehend the
> difference.

You're right. I've never bought bird seed and I haven't planted
sunflowers in over 20 years. But you haven't addressed any of my
points about end-user use of OEM Windows, so that is surely not what
you're referring to.

Stroller.