[X4U] Boot Camp [A]

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 9 07:15:43 PDT 2006

On 9 Aug 2006, at 08:10, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Stroller said:
>
>> We like throw about analogies here on the internet, so here's one of
>> mine:
>> Saying that it's wrong to buy an OEM copy of Windows for your own use
>> is like saying it's wrong to buy a 1kg bulk-bag of bird seed to plant
>> in the ground.
>> It says "bird seed" on the bag! It's for feeding to birds! If you
>> want to grow sunflowers then you should go out an buy one of those
>> little paper packets of seeds from the garden centre (not the pet
>> shop!) and plant those! Those bird seeds are only licensed for
>> feeding to birds, and if no-one bought the little expensive packets
>> of sunflower seeds (which happen to be packaged by the same company,
>> and which cost 10x the price-per-volume) then the company would go
>> out of business! Shame on you!!
>>
>> [Randy snipped: But that's exactly what you're telling me (or at
>> least Mr Ameeti is) - it says on the bag "OEM" so it should only
>> be used by OEMs. Despite what it says in the very comprehensive
>> contract that Microsoft have drawn up.]
>
> I'm afraid that your analogy doesn't work at all.  In your example you
> aren't purchasing a "license" for birdseed. You are actually
> purchasing
> birdseed.  The label on the bag that says "birdseed" does not create a
> license. A license has to be specifically created...

Indeed. That was kind of my point, so sorry if it was too contrived
to be clear.

The title "Original Equipment Manufacturer" does not make a contract
between you & Microsoft, prohibiting you as an end-user from
installing the OEM version. Microsoft wrote this long license that
says "well, it's ok, end-users can buy this as long as they buy a USB
cable to go with it" and my speculation is that not only is it legal
to follow the letter of this license, but Microsoft knew what they
intended with that license and there's no "immorality" or
"unscrupulousness" in following it to the letter, either.

Stroller.