[X4U] Boot Camp [A]

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Wed Aug 9 08:26:29 PDT 2006

At 3:15 PM +0100, 8/9/06, Stroller wrote:

>The title "Original Equipment Manufacturer" does not make a contract
>between you & Microsoft, prohibiting you as an end-user from
>installing the OEM version. Microsoft wrote this long license that
>says "well, it's ok, end-users can buy this as long as they buy a
>USB cable to go with it" and my speculation is that not only is it
>legal to follow the letter of this license, but Microsoft knew what
>they intended with that license and there's no "immorality" or
>"unscrupulousness" in following it to the letter, either.

'Tis interesting that you like to read and interpret contracts as
fits your wants. There is nothing in the license that says anything
about USB cables or small additional hardware purchase along with or
anything of that type. It does say that it is a license between
Microsoft and the OEM. The definition of OEM is defined and it is not
someone who installs a USB cable or hard drive.

'Twas also nice to see that you do choose to honor some contracts
(GPL). But the mere choosing of which contracts should be honored
based on your perceived worthiness of the owner of the property is
where your argument falls apart. It is not our right to decide which
contracts are worthy of respecting and which ones we should decide to
interpret as meets our desires. I could equally feel that the GPL
license need not be honored since the owners have no desire to make
real money from their work so my selling their work does not infringe
on their making money. They don't lose out when I sell my product
that has their code in it.

Kinda like my taking the bird seed and repackaging it in little bags
and selling it for the higher price, right?  :-)

--

Robert Ameeti

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.