[X4U] Boot Camp [A]

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Wed Aug 9 08:34:20 PDT 2006

At 3:57 PM +0100, 8/9/06, Stroller wrote:

>    ...This End-User
>    License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you
>    ... and the manufacturer ("Manufacturer") of the ... computer
>    system component ("HARDWARE")

And from which 'manufacturer' of hardware are you purchasing these
OEM disks? I'm guessing that when you purchase your USB cable, it is
not from a manufacturer but rather a reseller of computer equipment.

>I read that fairly clearly as saying "if you purchased this software
>with a USB cable, stick of RAM or network card

FROM A MANUFACTURER

>  then you can run this software on the computer with which you use
>that USB cable, stick of RAM or network card". If you can't find the
>full text of the OEM EULA online then let me know & I'll post it.

>That's a good question. Who's the OEM in this case? Individuals can
>certainly buy this OEM software from reputable vendors such as
>NewEgg.com, but in that case NewEgg are acting as supplier not OEM,
>I think. I don't believe that NewEgg are in breach of any contract
>in selling the software to you, but I'm not sure; what I do know is
>that it's a very common practice

What you see as common practice does not make it legal, moral, or ethical.

--

Robert Ameeti

Patience is something that you admire greatly in the driver behind you but not in the one ahead of you.