[X4U] New Mac Pro - any thoughts...?

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Wed Aug 9 09:08:26 PDT 2006

---- John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:
> On 08/08/06, revDAVE <coolcat at hosting4days.com> wrote:
> >
> > New Mac Pro - any thoughts...?
> >
> > I'll start...
> >
> > Looking inside the pics - I don't see any fans ... Is this gonna get hot?
> >
> > (Glad to have low heat chips - but it still might get hot....)
>
> If you listened to the Keynote, you'd have learned that the new processors are
> much cooler alllowing the engineers to dispense with the liquid cooling and
> reduce fan usage to a single one. See
> <http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?mco=AFBB8654&nclm=MacPro>
> for details and specs.

I listened to the keynote and did not hear them mention how many fans it had.

Looking at pictures, I so far have counted 4:

Two large ones in the front:

<http://powermax.download-files.net/macpro2/fan_unit.jpg>

Plus, if you look at the QTVR image you will see them through the cheese grater:

<http://images.apple.com/macpro/gallery/images/mac_pro_08072006.mov>

One in the powersupply:

<http://powermax.download-files.net/macpro2/power_cords.jpg>

and one in the rear:

<http://powermax.download-files.net/macpro2/back.jpg>

Although, admittedly, this picture does not actually show a fan, just a round hole where a fan would go.

Here's the link where I got all the pictures:

<http://www.powermax.com/articles_reviews/article.php?id=32>

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net