[X4U] Boot Camp [A]

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Aug 9 12:13:48 PDT 2006

Stroller said:

>But saying "title `OEM version' makes it unethical to use that
>software, even if you conform to the license terms" is taking it a
>bit far, don't you think?

I think that "ethics" has nothing to do with it.

The party that sells you OEM software either has a license to resell that
software or they do not.

If they do, then everything is kosher.  No one has done anything wrong,
either legally or ethically.

If they do not, the party you purchased that software from is both
civilly and ciminally liable, and so are you.  You are just as liable as
the sellor because the words "OEM version" put you on notice that you
should be checking to see if the sellor had the right to sell you a
license.  Using software that you don't have a legitimate license for is
illegal.

Randy B. Singer

MACINTOSH OS X ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html