[X4U] Leopard Features

Michael J. Prevost mprevost at dot4.com
Wed Aug 9 12:40:08 PDT 2006

>  > ...
>  > What are people thoughts on Leopard's upcoming features like Time
>  > Machine?
>
><snip>
>
>I have two concerns about Time Machine.
>
>The first is that - unless I missed it in the keynote, I have to
>admit that I enjoyed it but didn't pay full attention - is that it
>doesn't seem to be a backup so much as a versioning file system. A
>VFS is NOT a back up. What happens if the whole drive goes clicky-
>clicky-clicky? You can't go back in time to a file which the disk
>can't physically read anymore.

HA! that was a pitch-perfect imitation...

>But they did make a point of pushing it as "backup", and it would be
>easy to allow the user to dump a snapshot to external media, so
>presumably that's a feature.

I think you're on target here. I gathered from the keynote that it
probably uses  both a versioning filesystem and backup to other
media. The ability for Time Machine to use  various backup media was
specifically mentioned.

<snip>

>  > The Widget-builder Dashcode looks great too, don't you think?
>
>Sorry, it just looked like a gimmick to me. I mean, you're not really
>going to be able to edit a webpage with sliders, so presumably all he
>was doing with that Dilbert cartoon was hiding the edges of the page
>that he's not interested in. Whilst that's kinda useful for people to
>knock-up their own widgets, it doesn't seem actually very "clever" to
>me.

<snip>

>But then I'm just a cynical guy who doesn't really get along with
>widgets.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way, but hold out hope that it will be
useful for easy/throwaway type widgets. The wife is crazy about
widgets... I use the calculator and Dictionary. Even the Yellow Pages
widget is a very poor implementation.

--
Michael J. Prevost
Dot4, Inc.