[X4U] Off site data storage - Options?

Greg Chapel gchapel at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 9 22:02:43 PDT 2006

External Hard Drive space shouldn't be a problem these days. You can
buy a 500GB External USB Drive for roughly $250.00.

Time Machine shouldn't require THAT much space. Remember it only
makes one complete backup of your system and then every night at
midnight it only  makes an incremental backup, saving the only the
files that changed on that day. Even the complete backup may not need
to backup everything as it would probably just need to know the
differences between your current config and the standard original
install config.

When you read the description of Time Machine on Apple's site you
begin to realize that Time Machine isn't a filesystem level radical
change. It is just backup software with an automated backup
procedure, and a new interface for restoring data. Neat, but not much
different than you could perform yourself with good backup software,
a big external drive, and a few scripts.On Aug 9, 2006, at 10:13 PM,