[X4U] Airport Extreme

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed Aug 16 05:33:24 PDT 2006

At 12:24 PM +0200 8/16/06, Paul Moortgat wrote:
>A friend from Oregon has mailed me with the next problem.  I don't
>have this card, so I ask the gurus from this group.
>
><<  I recently bought and installed an Airport Extreme card in my
>Mac G4, which is running Tiger. The card is sloppy in the plug-in,
>and I'm thinking maybe I should have purchased a regular Airport
>Card instead of Airport Extreme for this old machine.  No one told
>me to buy Airport Extreme, I just tried to get the latest equipment.
>Could you tell me if I've made a mistake? The computer tells me that
>the card is not installed, so I know something's wrong.>>

Here's an Apple article about it. Apparently the only G4 that takes
an Airport Extreme (versus Airport) card is the PowerMac G4 FireWire
800.

Here's an article showing how to differentiate between different
models of G4, so he can look and figure out if he has the required
model. If not, he will have to exchange it for an  Airport card. I
have bought a few of those on eBay, and there are other sources
around, but Apple no longer sells them.

Daly