[X4U] Wireless + iBook

Philip Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 03:10:27 PDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Paul Moortgat <paul.moortgat at pandora.be> wrote:

> A growing trend is "wireless hotspots", promoted by Telecom, a
> significant MS supporter. But can a Mac use them? I really don't know.
> The promotions show a little "wireless card" slipped into the side of
> a PC with a little antenna raised. My iBook has no slot for such a card.
> I wonder what I am missing? Should I be able to use such hot-spots?
> What do I need?

The short answer is yes Macs can use this service. You'll need a WiFi
(Airport in Apple speak) device. Depending on what flavor of iBook you
have you may be able to add an Apple Airport card, use a USB WiFi
device, or already have an Airport card built-in. (You can't use their
card because iBooks don't have the PC Card expansion slot that
PowerBooks have.)

I found the following within a couple of minutes of searching.

General description of the service:
http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,8748,204163-1272,00.html

FAQ, see in particular question number 2:
http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,8748,204168-203984,00.html#20030624

How to connect:
http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,8748,204167-203984,00.html

Phil