[X4U] re: mail issue

Da Pen macstonelson at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 15:19:40 PDT 2006

Hello Again.

Ronald Steinke responded to my query and answered me
below:

On 23 August, 2006, at 7:53:23, Da Pen wrote:

> Now she must go back and get
> rid of all the emails.  Anybody know how to prevent
> this from happening in the future?

Ronald's reply:

>Periodically turn your computer off and restart it.
This will allow
>the directory file to be rebuilt and recognize the
fact that
>information has been deleted.

We do turn off the computer daily - so that's covered.
 We've had several crashes during the 4 month period
that my wife has been deleting the emails and never
did this happen.  Although once, a long time ago - we
did have this very thing happen - but was easier to
rectify.

>When the computer crashed without having the
opportunity to
>rebuild  the desktop directory, it was never told
that the emails had
>been deleted.

Since the computer had done this numerous times what
do you think went wrong?

>go into the email program preferences and set the
>controls to "not save messages that have been read"
and/or to
>"remove message from server after -x- days" . If you
need to save a
>particular message, create a separate emailbox with
the name "Saved
>Emails" and drag the messages you want to save into
that box.

I'll do this and we'll see what happens.  My wife has
created probably 25-30 boxes into which she sorts her
important emails.  The interesting thing is that NONE
of the messages that were placed into those boxes were
sent back to the In box - only the deleted emails
found thier way back.

>Hope this helps your situation.

Thank you and I hope ultimately it does help.  Only
time and the unfortunate experience of a crash will
tell ;-)

Thanks again.  Dave