[X4U] OS X won't install on external HD

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Aug 26 18:05:30 PDT 2006

On 08/26/06, Cubeistan <cubeistaner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote:
> Which format did you choose when you erased? You need Mac OS Extended. I
> recommend that you erase it again and choose "zero all data" from the
> optionsmenu. Then, try reinstalling.
>
> ==============================
>
> Completed zeroing this time; think I ended it inadvertently and prematurely
> before. Used Extended format & still no go. The message is 'OS X won't
> install on this disk. OS X will not start up from this disk'. I installed
> the drive that was in my Cube with 10.4.7 on it, and it doesn't appear in
> the Startup Disk Sys Pref. I wonder if somehow it might be this Coolmax
> enclosure that's the cause.

Possibly. You'll have to check at the Coolmax site. I don't have it. I'm using
the Argosy external shown at
<http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500933> without any
problems. BTW, the Coolmax one at <http://www.directron.com/hd360bu2.html> says
that it's USB. USB is useless for booting pre-Intel-based Macs and that may be
your problem. You need to use a FireWire external.