[X4U] Can't erase SanDisk

Mark Gilchrist markg5 at myrealbox.com
Sun Aug 27 11:01:32 PDT 2006

On 27 Aug 2006, at 18:08, Rod Duncan wrote:

> Might be built into the firmware of the drive.

My SanDisk Cruzer micro is a single partition straight out of the
box; I don't know how to find the Firmware version though ... System
profiler doesn't give me anything

>> We can't figure out a way using Disk Utility to erase that volume.
>> Doing a Get Info on it indicates it is locked (as is the SanDisk
>> icon as well).

I take it that you've unchecked the box that say "locked"? Yes I
thought you had, but I had to check!

Hang on a mo'

My Cruzer doesn't have a box to say it's locked! Even more confusing!
And I've just run "Chlorine" (from anomalyindustries.net) and I can't
even lock it that way!

What are you "Get Info"ing on - the files or the actual drive?

>> All the Disk Utility options are greyed out.

I've just tried something really scary: you could try the Terminal!

Open a terminal window and type

"diskutil list"

Look for the name of your disk - it will have a number like disk4 or
something

Then type

"diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ (name) disk4"

Notes: The HFS+ gives you a normal HFS+ file system
The name is the name you want it to be called - and don't use the
brackets. According to the help bit ...

eraseDisk             (Erase an existing disk, removing all volumes)

and

Disk Utility Tool
Usage:  diskutil eraseDisk [format] newName
         <OS9Drivers, APMFormat, MBRFormat, GPTFormat>
         [Mount Point|Disk Identifier|Device Node]
Completely erase an existing disk.  All volumes on this disk will be
destroyed.
Ownership of the affected disk is required.
Format is the specific filesystem name you want to erase it as. (HFS
+, etc.)
You cannot erase the boot disk.
Example: diskutil eraseDisk UFS UntitledUFS disk3
Valid filesystems: "Case-sensitive HFS+" "Journaled HFS+" "Case-
sensitive Journaled HFS+" "HFS+" "HFS" "MS-DOS FAT32" "MS-DOS FAT16"
"MS-DOS" "MS-DOS FAT12" "UFS" "Linux" "Swap"

( I like the "You cannot erase the boot disk"!)

I tried it, on a memory stick ... but I removed all other drives
first just in case.

It might work but I cannot promise - or be held responsible!