[X4U] Mail questions from a late adopter

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Aug 28 01:28:11 PDT 2006

On 28 Aug 2006, at 08:11, Joshua Hough wrote:

> 1.  I sent a message to someone but mistyped their address.  After
> I re-sent it to the correct address and deleted the first one from
> my Sent folder, and emptied the trash, the mistyped address still
> comes up every time I compose a message and start typing the
> address in the "To:" field.  FYI, my address book is empty.

Go into the Window menu at the top of the screen & choose "Previous
Recipients". Find the moody address, highlight & click "Remove from
list".

> 2.  After only a single day using Mail, my inbox already has a
> large size discrepancy between what I see in Mail and what I see on
> Mac.com through Safari.  Mail has 108 messages.  The web version
> has 133.  Some of the extras are ones I already deleted in Mail,
> but they're still there on Mac.com.  In Mail I tried "Erase Deleted
> Messages," but it didn't change anything.  Must I delete them twice?

No idea about this - I don't use dotMac. POP3 accounts have a section
in Preferences > Accounts > Advanced to "remove from server"
immediately, after 14 days, whatever. With IMAP accounts the messages
are purged when you go into Mailbox > Synchronise All Accounts. For
dotMac I'd also look at Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviours.

> 3.  When I send a message from Mail, it goes into the local "Sent"
> folder instead of my Mac.com "Sent Items" folder.  So I have to
> manually copy (upload) all my sent messages to "Sent Items" if I
> want to see them on Mac.com while I'm away from the office.

IMAP accounts give a similar behaviour by default. In order to get
them to treat the Sent Items on the server as Mail.app's sent folder
you need to highlight the Sent Items folder in the view of the
server's folders (in the "mailboxes" view in the left-hand panel of
Mail.app) and then click on the Mailbox menu > "Use This Mailbox For"
 > Sent.

Stroller.