[X4U] Files disappear in window when clicked

John Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Aug 30 12:56:07 PDT 2006

Hello,

Mac OSX 10.3.9, 1.5 GB RAM, iMac G5.

I double click on an icon representing the CD I inserted into the optical
drive.

The window appears. Most of the files have icons associated with the file
name in whatever view I choose (hierarchy, details, icon). Ocassionally, I
find a file with just a name and not an icon. When I select the file, it
disappears from the window and the number of files decrements by 1. Number
of files is in the bottom of the window.

This is the reason I asked about using terminal to see if UNIX has more
info.

Occasionally, this happens to files on my hard drive except that I can
always select the file, open it, copy,... Generally, on windows displaying
files on the hard drive, I can close the window and then reopen it or in
some weird cases log out then double click on the hard drive and navigate to
the directory. Then the icons are refreshed. I am just curious why this
would happen in a benign manner?

However, the files on the CDROM are useless. I can't get any info or even
open them. The first click of my nimble double click zaps them. Any ideas?

Note: This is an old backup. Therefore it is possible that they were OS9
files or burned using the OS9 version of Toast Titanium. I'll try opening
them in Classic tonite but any explanation as to why it is happening or
remedies is welcome.

John F. Richardson