[X4U] Setting up SAFE FTP in 10.4.6

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Thu Aug 31 00:37:40 PDT 2006

On 30 Aug 2006, at 16:35, revDAVE wrote:

> - Obviously this is not a safe way to go!
>
> Q: What is the best way to set up Tiger so that you can create a
> safe FTP
> account? All I really need is to have access to some kind of public
> folder
> only.

Instructions for setting up FTP only accounts under Mac OS can be
found at <http://www.ldml.com/services/support/macosx/
ftpUserCreate.html>. To lock it down reasonably well is somewhat
intricate but I believe it's all there (these instructions were
written for Mac OS 10.3 but they should work for 10.4 too).

Another poster offered up CrushFTP. We're using it on one box and it
works quite well - although I found first-time set-up almost as
complicated as the command line stuff required using the OS's own FTP
server. Also, we have had some weirdnesses using CrushFTP - nothing
that couldn't be sorted out with a quick reboot though.

HTH

Simon Forster