[X4U] Network printing WinXP to OS 10.4.8

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 1 21:04:58 PST 2006

Hi Folks -
I sure could use a good steer toward some detailed step by step
instructions for printing from an XP client to a USB printer on an
iMac G5 running OS 10.4.8.

The computers are networked via hard wire ethernet thru a D-Link
router. We have no trouble at all with the shared internet
connection, just getting the two computers to talk to each other has
been a problem.

Can you suggest a site that has been helpful for you for setting up a
XP(client)  to Mac-USB printer?

I've found so many hits by googling that it's not really helpful...
especially those that contain info about earlier operating systems.

I do have connection between the two computers in that I am able to
access the iMac files from the XP laptop, but not vice versa. All
attempts to connect from the iMac to the laptop are met with an error
message (error code -43). But at least I do know now that the two
machines can talk to each other... so I figure the problem is in the
setup for the printer.

     I've turned to trying to get the XP computer to print on the USB
printer connected to the iMac. Done all the things I'm supposed to...
turning on printer sharing in the Sharing pref, turning on printer
sharing in Print and Fax pref. , getting the work groups to match, etc.

After I do all the things I think I'm supposed to do,  I try to add a
new printer to the to the printer list on the Windows machine. Even
using the Wizard I'm unable to get it to recognize any printer. I get
stumped when it asks for the URL to the printer. The example seems to
be what one would use to connect to another Windows computer. I've
tried everything I can think of using info from the experience of
setting up the PC to Mac file sharing.. but nothing seems to work.

 From all I've read getting shared printing ought to be pretty
simple.... so I must be missing something.

If you've got a good web reference for connecting an XP client  to an
iMac-G5 running OS 10.4.8 as a print server I'd appreciate the lead.
Step by step instructions would be very helpful.

Thanks,
John