[X4U] Network printing WinXP to OS 10.4.8

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 2 06:21:37 PST 2006

I think I was pretty tired last night when I wrote that rambling plea
for help...

Here's a clearer version. ..   I follow all the steps for setting up
my Mac's USB printer as a network printer. I'm pretty sure now that
the Mac settings are all OK.

However when I try to add this network printer to the list in the
Window XP machine it doesn't find it in the list of possibilities.
Using the offered browse option, I find the iMac network but there is
no printer offered. When I select that network option there is a
place to enter the printers name.... and when I do enter one using
the name used on the Mac, I get an error that I've either mistyped
the name or that the network connection has been lost. Of course the
Help function is not very helpful with trouble shooting.

Can anybody suggest any links that can help me with the
troubleshooting?.  From everything I've read setting up a network
printer is dead simple. So I figure I must be overlooking something
very obvious.... but darned if I can figure out what it is.

The Apple support site doesn't address tis issue and Googling gives
so many hits that it is tough to sort thru everything. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John