[X4U] iTunes authorization

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Mon Dec 4 02:05:27 PST 2006

On 4 Dec 2006, at 09:28, Mitchell Senft wrote:

> Once again having problems with reaching the 5 machine limit for
> authorization with iTunes. (ITunes downloads are limited to playing
> on 5 machines.)
>
> The problem is complicated by the fact that one machine was trashed
> without de-authorizing and the hard drive of the second, also-
> retired machine is unavailable as well.
>
> Per Apple, the simple solution is to de-authorize all. My questions
> are: If I do that, do all the iTunes downloads also get rendered
> unplayable even after I reauthorize the machine to which they've
> been downloaded? And if so, is there any alternative to a mass de-
> authorization?

I was an early adopter of iTunes and bought a couple of tracks from
the store almost as soon as it was launched. Quite quickly I lost the
tracks (laptop replacement, dying hard drives etc) and so I decided
not to buy DRMed tracks. More recently I bought an album from iTunes
- which has gone too as I swapped machines around.

I cannot be bothered fighting with the software to use licensed
product - so I don't buy DRMed music. Old fashioned CDs work fine for
me.

Once again, the law is an ass. Frequently the measures introduced to
deter ne'er-do-wells just ends up inconveniencing honest users while
doing little to prevent abuse by the less scrupulous. Let's face it,
if you want to make use of music you haven't purchased (aka
"piracy"), it's easy enough to do. I choose broadly to stay on the
right side of the law [1].

OK, mini-rant over.

To bring this back on topic, if I go to the Apple store, it tells me
I've already downloaded all my purchases. This is true, but as I
couldn't use them due to Apple's DRM, the tracks subsequently have
been lost.

<sigh />

See. I give in. At least with non-DRMed product I know where I stand.

Simon Forster
  LDML Ltd, 62 Pall Mall, London, SW1Y 5HZ, UK
  Tel: +44 (0)20 8133 0528   Fax: +44 (0)70 9230 5247