[X4U] iTunes authorization

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Mon Dec 4 07:09:09 PST 2006

On 4 Dec 2006, at 14:22, Michael Winter wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2006, at 5:02 AM, Simon Forster wrote:

>>> In other words, you didn't back up your files...? :-)
>>
>> Actually, no.
>
> At which point you've lost the file wether its DRM'd or not.

You're mis-reading and mis-quoting what I said:

"Actually, no. It's simply that I tend to use the move from one
machine to another (or a hard drive upgrade) as an excuse to do some
spring cleaning. I copy across the stuff I need and then make some
form of archive copy of the old data so that if I need something in
the future, I can go get it."

I was replying in the negative to Kirk's assertion that I "didn't
back up" my files - although to be fair, re-reading the post it's not
100% clear. Double negatives and all that I guess.

>> Now think tracks I can't access. Why keep them?
>
> Because all you have to do is authorize the new computer. If that's
> too much of a hassle, then the iTMS isn't for you.  I just don't
> think its fair to blame Apple for the loss of those tracks. As I
> said, if they were purchased and downloaded with no DRM and you
> failed to back them up, they're gone just as surely.

Again, no. iTunes was telling me that I couldn't authorise the tracks
on the newest computer as I'd already authorised on 5 computers
previously. At the time, I didn't know about de-authorising
computers. So shoot me.

I will agree that iTunes music store is not for me. It sells music at
a questionable bit rate with DRM which detracts from my ease of use
while offering little in return.

My opinion of course.

Simon Forster