[X4U] Re: iTunes authorization

Michael J. Prevost mprevost at dot4.com
Mon Dec 4 09:17:05 PST 2006

>On Dec 4, 2006, at 7:55 AM, Michael J. Prevost wrote:
>
>  > Since authorization to play your DRM protected tracks are
>  > ultimately flows from your Apple iTunes account, choosing to
>  > deauthorize all computers is not a problem or risk (I've done it a
>  > bunch of times myself).
>  >
>  > Once all machines have been deauthorized, each machine that
>  > attempts to play a DRM track for the first time will seek
>  > authorization with Apple's servers. If your account is under the 5
>  > machine limit, authorization is granted. Fast and nearly transparent.
>  >
>  > Mike
>
>Is there a way to deauthorize a computer I no longer have?
>Unfortunately I must have forgotten to deauthorize a couple of macs
>before getting rid of them way back when, so now I show 4 authorized
>computers while I only have 2 machines. Obviously it won't be a
>problem if I don't add more than one machine and remember to
>deauthorize all my machines in the future, but I would like to clean
>this up.
>

>jon

Apple finally added on recent versions of iTunes the ability to
deauthorize the computer you are currently work from (see iTunes
Advanced menu), but I have not seen anywhere the ability to
deauthorize a computer if you are not using it at the moment (e.g.
directly edit the list of 5 computers).

The only option I see for computers no longer in your possession
would be to deauthorize all and let each active computer get
authorized in due course. Since it's an easy process, it's really not
a burden.

Best,

Mike

--