[X4U] Macpro processor choice

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Mon Dec 4 17:48:42 PST 2006

Hiya Jens,

It can depend on the size of Photoshop work you plan on doing, for
example, web work won't tax Photoshop's memory too much as the files are
usually quite small but large multi-layered poster work exponentially
grows in file size requirements.

I did some extensive Photoshop research on this a while back and found
that if money is an issue then you are MUCH better off buying the next
model down from the latest-&-greatest and putting the savings into more
RAM. In fact I was able to more than DOUBLE the test speed results with
going from 512K RAM on a G4 system to 2GB - BTW when I was testing 512K
was an acceptable amount.

But if you think you can throw more money at RAM later (depending on how
much later tho) getting the faster machine will be the better long-term
option.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Cojcolds

Jens Selvig <lstnmt at bresnan.net>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
05/12/06 12:34 PM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

"A casual user. place to discuss Mac OS X for the"
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
[X4U] Macpro processor choice

I am about to order a new Mac and am wondering about whether I would
be better served by getting 2 gigs of memory and the 2.0 GHz
processor or alternatively getting 1 gig of memory and the 2.66 GHz
processor.

I do a lot of photoshop work so I am thinking more memory might be
better, but on the other hand adding memory latter on might be easier
than upgrading the processors. My current system is a G4 933 so I am
sure photoshop even run in the rosetta layer will be comparable to
what I am used to at the moment.

Any thoughts,

Jens