[X4U] DVD hardware test

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Dec 6 09:01:13 PST 2006

On Dec 6, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Robert Ashton wrote:

> Personally I would just buy a new burner. You can now get dual
> layer internal burner that would replace your burner for around
> $40.00 Canadian. What you might spend on software to test would
> cost you close to or more than that. Toast will support this new
> burner and iDVD that comes with iLife 06 will support it also.
> There are way more advantages to a new burner that to mess around
> with an older one.  Hope this helps.

Just FYI, I just rebooted the G4 after doing just that. Test burn
happening right now. Now I'll put the "questionable" drive in the
external FW enclosure I was going to put the new drive in. So it
would still be nice to know if the drive is working well or not. At
least it will get a good cleaning this way.

-Mike