[X4U] OT: using old tower Mac as a Firewire case?

Da Pen macstonelson at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 10 19:28:39 PST 2006

On 12/10/06 12:07 PM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> I know that if I mount a Mac as a Firewire device at
startup that all
> of the attached devices to it will also mount on the
host computer.

Then: Linda wrote this response:

> I used to believe this is true, but I recently
connected my G4
> Quicksilver in Target Disk mode, and only one of the
two disks
> showed up on the desktop.

Perhaps this will be useful?  I know you can ignore
Apple "suggestions" - maybe there are workarounds -
but this seems pretty likely to be close to the whole
truth, yes?no?:
From:

Target computers: The following models can be used as
target computers:

iMac (Slot Loading) with Firmware version 2.4 or later
iMac (Summer 2000) and all models introduced after
July 2000
eMac (all models)
Mac mini (all models)
Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) with ATA drive
Power Mac G4 Cube
Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) and all models
introduced after July 2000
Power Mac G5 (all models)
iBook (FireWire) and all models introduced after
September 2000
MacBook (all models)
PowerBook G3 (FireWire)
PowerBook G4 (all models)
MacBook Pro (all models)
FireWire software

You can download the latest Firmware and FireWire
software from the Apple Support Downloads page
(http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/).

How to use FireWire target disk mode

Important: Unplug all other FireWire devices from both
computers prior to using FireWire target disk mode. Do
not plug in any FireWire devices until after you have
disconnected the two computers from each other, or
have stopped using target disk mode.

Tip: FireWire Target Disk Mode works on internal ATA
drives only. Target Disk Mode only connects to the
master ATA drive on the Ultra ATA bus. It will not
connect to Slave ATA, ATAPI or SCSI drives.

*So it seems to me:
there's only one master the rest of any internal
drives on any mac would be slaves - therefore
invisible at the time target disk is active.  That
would be a neat hacK: make a firewire rack out of a
"blue and white" case - adequate cooling necessary and
then there's the money.  In the end there is no
"computer" just a rack - so this is far afield as a
solution in this case.

Cheers! Dave