[X4U] upgrading a lacie hard drive

alexandre mac.k at a2k.ch
Wed Dec 13 12:53:12 PST 2006

On 13 déc. 06, at 19:21, Peter Krug wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2006, at 8:21 PM, alexandre wrote:
>

>> i have a lacie d2 drive (250gb triple interface) that is filling
>> up rapidly.
>> i'm thinking of upgrading the internal drive and keeping the case,
>> replacing the 250gb with a 500gb for example.
>
> I did this with both of my d2 enclosures - it is very
> straightforward after you remove the screws. The only real issue I
> had was the placement of the cables around the metal bracket.  I
> also had a problem in that my 80GB case did not recognize my new
> 250 GB ATA/133 HD, likely due to the bridge board being too old (I
> don't think you will have this problem).  I replaced my wife's 250
> GB HD after I dropped it while it was backing up her computer
> (sounded like a roadrunner in slooow motion. meeep! meeep!).
>
> Also, I was using the case that originally housed the 250GB drive
> to set up multiple replacement HDs at work.  I must have damaged
> something going back and forth plugging and unplugging the drives
> because at some point the enclosure stopped working.  Nothing
> obvious was broken that i could tell.
>
> Hope this helps.  If you have any other questions, I have the 80GB
> enclosure sitting on my desk that I can take apart to give you more
> specific info.

thank you peter, for the info.

  put my drive up for sale and was able to sell it for a pretty good
price. taking the 250gb drive out, selling it, buying a 500gb and
putting it in the lacie enclosure was finally not that much cheaper
in the end.

so now i'm looking for a good 600gb drive…

kind regards

alexandre
:: 17" 2.33ghz ic2d macbook pro / 2.0gb / 160gb / X.4.8 ::